Sunday, September 2, 2012

Barefoot Cheyenne Review

Well, I decided to get a new saddle to try and deal with Marco's back problems. I finally settled on the Barefoot Cheyenne with Physio pad, it is specifically designed for horses with protruding spinous processes ;). I found that the resale value was so good, it would be worth it to try it out as they are selling used for almost the same price as they are new! You can get a custom ordered saddle with all the trimmings (including high end saddle pad) for under 700 bucks including shipping (which is free), and I couldn't find any of the style I wanted for much less than 650 bucks, so a new shiny saddle it was! I might add that the Barefoot folks are great with communication, I had to email them numerous times about fit and other issues before deciding on which one I wanted, and they always returned my email within 24 hours, sometimes within 5 minutes!
Isn't it spiffy? It started out sitting way up high on his back, but after riding in it for a while it squished down to normal saddle height ;). According to Barefoot, it will take about a month for it to squish down permanently, so I have to start out with it TALL, and after about 20 minutes get off and readjust it forward and tighten the girth from it coming down so much. So far, even with it squished it has PLENTY of clearance for his spine, which makes me happy! It is also incredibly comfortable, it it like it cradles you into the perfect position for riding and is super soft and cushy on the tushy ;). It is sliding back some, but honestly every saddle has since the beginning, hence the breast collar. Once it is squished down and ridden in for a little while and I make adjustments, it seems to stop slipping, so I am guessing/hoping that once it is broken in it will stay put. I can't even slide it off the saddle rack it has such a sticky saddle pad! Marco seems to be moving out really nicely in it too, which is great. We did 14 miles at Dry Creek, and then 18 miles at Lula Lakes without problems. I did try and use my mohair girth at Lula Lake (I thought I may have ordered too long of a girth when I bought the saddle, but I didn't) and it gave him a little bruise where the buckles hit him, so I am going back to the awesome girth that I bought from Barefoot. The girth they sell that is specifically made for the Barefoot Saddles is a really nice leather girth that has elastic ALL along the girth, so you can cinch it up tight without causing discomfort to the lovely pony ;). I have to say, it is well worth the money to buy the girth, it is quite snazzy. The stirrup leathers on the other hand... not so much :/. I bought the ones that go with the saddle and they are really thick, I mean REALLY thick. They cut into my shin they were so thick, so I put my old leathers on and voila! nice and comfy! That is all I could ride in it before our next ride though, as I didn't want to work him anymore before we try our first two day 100 at Big South Fork... I will let ya know how it fairs through that, can't think of a better testing ground personally ;).

The Barefoot webpage
The Physio Pad
The Awesome Girth

No comments:

Post a Comment